Sunday 8 February 2015

Kedgeree


Good morning!

It's been a while since I last posted anything on here but here I am today with a recipe I cooked last night and hopefully I will now be posting a bit more regularly again.

Today's recipe is one I've had for ages, in fact so long I've forgotten where I got it but it would more than likely have been from a magazine.  Over the years I've adapted it a little and added eggs and peas.  Please excuse the photo,  I got a bit carried away and almost forgot to take one so the presentation isn't great oops!




Kedgeree

Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

350g/12 oz long grain rice
700g/1.5 lb smoked haddock fillets
1 tbsp oil
knob of butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1.5 tbsp mild curry powder
0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp frozen peas, defrosted
150 ml/0.25 pint double cream
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 eggs, hardboiled and chopped

Method:

Add rice to a large pan of boiling, salted water and simmer for 10-12 mins or until rice is just cooked.  Drain and set aside.  Meanwhile, place fish in a large frying pan and cover with cold water.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 mins or until fish flakes easily.  Remove fish from the pan, flake with a fork and set aside.  Both of these stages can be done in advance.

Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, add onion, curry powder and cayenne pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes over a lowish heat until the onions are softened and caramelised.  Add the rice and peas to the pan and heat through over a low heat.  Add the fish, cream, parsley and eggs.  Stir through the rice and heat through thoroughly.  Season well and serve immediately.  Garnish with extra parsley.

Another way of serving this is to leave out the hardboiled eggs and serve a lightly poached egg on top of each of the portions.

We usually have this as a main meal but it would be just as good for brunch.


That's all from me at the moment.

Shona xx





No comments:

Post a Comment