I'm back briefly with the other half of tonight's dinner - Nando's Inspired Syn Free Spicy Rice! I have had this before at Nando's but it was ages ago and I can't remember how close it was to this recipe but in any case it's very tasty and best of all it's Syn Free!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and it originally came from a blog called Slimming World Survival it's perfect served with the Piri-piri Chicken recipe I posted! The recipe makes 2 portions but it's easy enough to double the quantities for 4.
Nando's Inspired Syn Free Spicy Rice
500 - 600ml of Water
2 Chicken stock cubes
1/2 an onion - finely chopped
1/2 finely chopped red pepper
A handful of frozen peas
1 green chilli or chilli of your choice deseeded and finely chopped
Chilli power - depending how spicy you like it
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Turmeric
- On a medium heat spray a pan with some frylight and dry fry the rice for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the rice starts to brown slightly, Add some water, (just the bare minimum to cover the rice) chilli power, crush chicken stock cube and turmeric.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until the rice is fully cooked and all the water has been absorbed. Stir often to avoid it sticking to the pan!
- In a separate pan sprayed with fry light, add the onion, red pepper, frozen peas, green chilli, crushed chicken stock cube, cumin and paprika.
- Once everything is cooked add to the rice and stir thoroughly.